Online Comm 101

This forum is to discuss and ask questions from your fellow students about specific Ivy Tech classes and instructors.
Links:Course search| Course Outlines | Curriculum for each program/degree

Moderator: mhygema

Forum rules
Be respectful of others
Do not initiate or participate in personal attacks
Do not use profanity
Do not post items for sale (including textbooks)
Do not post solicitations for businesses
Do not post spam
The moderator has the right to remove any posts or comments that do not follow these guidelines or that provide inaccurate information.
Thank you!

Online Comm 101

Postby emiller141 » February 25th, 2010, 4:15 pm

How does the online comm 101 class work? i know that in the face-to-face classes the students have to get up and present a speech.
emiller141
Private

Postby tking88 » February 25th, 2010, 7:01 pm

I enrolled in an online Comm 101 class a few semesters ago & then dropped it & took it F2F. In the course, you have to videotape your speeches with an audience of at least X number of members. (I think it had to be 7 people over the age of 16 - and no pets :D ). You also had to turn in outlines, do peer reviews, etc. In the F2F class I took we listened to lecture, gave our speeches (& turned in a brief outline before the speech), & took open-book tests. I'm in my 6th semester at Ivy Tech & the Comm 101 class is the ONLY class I've taken F2F. The online version, I think, is WAY more work & a lot of hassle.

I highly recommend taking it in person if at all possible.
Hope this helps!
tking88
Captain

Postby kburt » February 25th, 2010, 7:40 pm

If you have a choice I would suggest Comm 102. The course is very easy online. They tell you what chapters to read and quizzes to take, open book. Then you have your reports to do on the topics they give.
kburt
Lieutenant

Postby tking88 » February 25th, 2010, 7:53 pm

I agree with kburt. I didn't take 102, but I have friends who did & it is MUCH easier (& no speeches). However, some degrees require 101 & 102 won't work for those degrees.
tking88
Captain

Postby emiller141 » February 25th, 2010, 8:12 pm

That does sound like a lot of work just to gather up an audience let alone write and do the speeches. I was wondering if 102 was different. So no speeches? I had to drop the comm 101 f2f last summer because i already had a busy work schedule, a math class and an emt class and i'm just not the speech kind of person.
emiller141
Private

Postby tking88 » February 25th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I can't speak from experience but that is what I have been told by others - no speeches : )
tking88
Captain

Postby agwaltney » February 27th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Nope, no speeches in Comm 102, thats why I took it, lol. I am taking it online and its extremely easy though it is definitely the most boring material I have ever had to read and work with. We are required to watch a few movies throughout the semester and write papers about them. They are popular movies like The Notebook, You've Got Mail etc so at least that part isn't so bad.
Our big grade though comes from the intercultural experience paper. We're supposed to expose ourselves to a different culture and write a paper about our experiences. You can use ethnic, religion or lifestyle cultures such as Amish, or go to a Hispanic festival etc. I don't have time to go looking for festivals or hang out with the Amish, so I am writing about my experiences of marrying into a Catholic family and what their masses, customs and such are like.
Oh and we have lots of discussion board assignments.

All in all, easy, but BORING
agwaltney
General

Postby dandiyari » March 4th, 2010, 10:43 pm

well im glad i stumbled on this i signed up for summer classes today and i signed up for comm 102 online. so hopefully i do not have any problems and it is smooth sailing like u all say it should be :roll:
dandiyari
Corporal

Postby 82fb » March 17th, 2010, 2:10 am

that's bad news for me... I'm in the Paralegal Studies program and if I want to transfer to bachelor's program later on I have to take COM 101... at first I wasn't planning to continue after getting an associate's, so I signed up for COM 102 online... but now that I've decided I might want to get a bachelor's later I have to switch to COM 101... but I'm terrified of public speaking. If I could take it online it would help, but I don't think I could get 7 people for the video taped speeches. I moved to a new city and don't know that many people here. So I guess I have to take it in the classroom. So I'm wondering how many speeches do you usually have to give? And do you pick your own topics? And just in case I think I could get 7 people, how many video taped speeches are usually assigned in the online class? I know it could probably vary from teacher to teacher, but if I could just get a general estimate. Oh and if you take it online, is the teacher the only one who watches the videos? If not, then I might as well just take it face to face. I think the thought of a bunch of strangers seeing a video of me is more terrifying than face to face lol. Cause video can be watched over and over... face to face is over and done with forever at least.
82fb
Major

Postby tking88 » March 17th, 2010, 7:27 am

82fb - I doubt there's very many people in the world more afraid of public speaking than me! haha! I was terrified of taking COM101 & was so excited to see it available online. Then I got the syllabus & I about died. It was WAY more work than I had ever dreamed. It included a lot of peer review & at least as many, if not more, speeches than the face to face class. I ended up taking an 8 wk version of the course at a local learning center. The prof was GREAT! We did 4 (I think) speeches. My class didn't have to do any powerpoint presentations etc & the topics were completely of our choosing. We could talk from notes, note cards, whatever & we turned in an outline of our speech before giving it. In fact, I actually LIKED the class. Which was hard for me to believe - I'd never liked a speech class before. In fact, I only took the ones I absolutely HAD to take.

I had a friend who took the class as a 16 wk course in or around Indy & her prof was not as nice, much more picky & they had to have powerpoint presentations, so I think there is a lot of variance among the profs.
tking88
Captain

Postby 82fb » March 17th, 2010, 4:20 pm

Thanks! That's a good idea to take an 8-week class and get it over with much quicker! I will try to do that. :)
82fb
Major

Return to Classes and Instructors