How to withdraw from a class?

This forum is to discuss and ask questions from your fellow students about specific Ivy Tech classes and instructors.
Links:Course search| Course Outlines | Curriculum for each program/degree

Moderator: mhygema

Forum rules
Be respectful of others
Do not initiate or participate in personal attacks
Do not use profanity
Do not post items for sale (including textbooks)
Do not post solicitations for businesses
Do not post spam
The moderator has the right to remove any posts or comments that do not follow these guidelines or that provide inaccurate information.
Thank you!

How to withdraw from a class?

Postby MostlyHarmless » September 5th, 2010, 1:10 am

I'm taking 4 classes and I want to drop one seeing how it's completely unnecessary for me to take it.

How do I do this? Also, will withdrawing affect my financial aid?
MostlyHarmless
Private

Postby Ayesha606 » September 5th, 2010, 1:17 am

Yes. If you drop now you will fall from full time to 3/4 time. Contact the FA office and they can explain this to you.

Ah go through Ivy Tech

Go to Self-service banner

Go to Student

Go to Registration

Go to "add or drop classes"

Select your term (Fall 2010)

And then go to the class you want to drop and click on "action" This is a drop down menu. In this "action" box you will see web withdrawal.

Click on web withdrawal and then click on SUBMIT CHANGES at the bottom left of the screen.

You have successfully dropped your class. 8)

OR! You can go to your nearest Ivy Tech. Go to the admissions office and tell them you wish to drop a class. You can fill out a form for them and they are going to give you a copy to take to the FA office.

You said that you are going full time right? 4 classes. If you drop one, I believe that you will lose money. Talk to your FA advisor and they can help you with that.

Good luck. :wink:
Ayesha606
General

Postby MostlyHarmless » September 5th, 2010, 1:33 am

Hrm... I see. Thanks you.
Do you think it will affect my grades if I withdraw after I get my refund? I know, that sounds horrible, but I need that money.
MostlyHarmless
Private

Postby kjohnson382 » September 5th, 2010, 10:40 pm

if you wait til after you get your refund you'll have to pay ivy tech back if you withdraw this early in the semester. (personal experience)
kjohnson382
Lieutenant

Postby MostlyHarmless » September 8th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Pay them back? I already paid them.

So which is better, withdrawing before I get my refund or after?
MostlyHarmless
Private

Postby Descenciel » September 8th, 2010, 2:27 pm

What they mean is, you are getting a refund based on what's left over from your grants/loans/etc., that were awarded based on your number of credit hours that you were enrolled for. If you withdraw from a class, it will change the amount of money you will receive depending on how many credit hours you will have after you withdraw compared to the amount of credit hours you had before you withdraw from that class. So if you wait to get your refund, then withdraw, you will have to pay the government back for that amount you received for that class that you are considering withdrawing from.
Descenciel
General

Region: Central Indiana

Return to Classes and Instructors