Math 118

This forum is to discuss and ask questions from your fellow students about specific Ivy Tech classes and instructors.
Links:Course search| Course Outlines | Curriculum for each program/degree

Moderator: mhygema

Forum rules
Be respectful of others
Do not initiate or participate in personal attacks
Do not use profanity
Do not post items for sale (including textbooks)
Do not post solicitations for businesses
Do not post spam
The moderator has the right to remove any posts or comments that do not follow these guidelines or that provide inaccurate information.
Thank you!

Math 118

Postby jwright60 » December 30th, 2010, 7:52 pm

What exactly is math 118 or concepts of mathmatics?
Is it easy? [/b]
jwright60
Private
 
Posts: 1
Joined: December 29th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Re: Math 118

Postby Mushy2000 » December 31st, 2010, 3:56 pm

jwright60 wrote:What exactly is math 118 or concepts of mathmatics?
Is it easy? [/b]


It's technically not a college level class, You'll get credit for it and it will count toward your gpa, but it won't transfer and doesn't count toward a degree.
Mushy2000
Major
 
Posts: 189
Joined: March 2nd, 2010, 4:01 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Math 118

Postby amckinney39 » December 31st, 2010, 6:29 pm

Mushy2000 wrote:
jwright60 wrote:What exactly is math 118 or concepts of mathmatics?
Is it easy? [/b]


It's technically not a college level class, You'll get credit for it and it will count toward your gpa, but it won't transfer and doesn't count toward a degree.


That's not true. It is college level, it counts towards many degrees, and it does transfer to some colleges. Ball State is one and others it counts as a math elective (that's how it is at IUPUI).
But OP--It is like a big mix of different math concepts. This is from the description:

CATALOG DESCRIPTION: Through real-world approaches, presents mathematical concepts of measurement, proportion, interest, equations and inequalities, probability and statistics. Brief survey of college mathematics.
https://wwwapps.ivytech.edu/cor3/c/6/8/ ... 40tcXy1EIC

I'm horrible at math and got a B. I did try to take it online at first but it didn't go so well--I do not recommend taking it online. But when I went to the on campus class, it wasn't bad at all.
amckinney39
Major
 
Posts: 208
Joined: July 22nd, 2010, 1:17 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Math 118

Postby Mushy2000 » December 31st, 2010, 7:50 pm

amckinney39 wrote:
Mushy2000 wrote:
jwright60 wrote:What exactly is math 118 or concepts of mathmatics?
Is it easy? [/b]


It's technically not a college level class, You'll get credit for it and it will count toward your gpa, but it won't transfer and doesn't count toward a degree.


That's not true. It is college level, it counts towards many degrees, and it does transfer to some colleges. Ball State is one and others it counts as a math elective (that's how it is at IUPUI).
But OP--It is like a big mix of different math concepts. This is from the description:

CATALOG DESCRIPTION: Through real-world approaches, presents mathematical concepts of measurement, proportion, interest, equations and inequalities, probability and statistics. Brief survey of college mathematics.
https://wwwapps.ivytech.edu/cor3/c/6/8/ ... 40tcXy1EIC

I'm horrible at math and got a B. I did try to take it online at first but it didn't go so well--I do not recommend taking it online. But when I went to the on campus class, it wasn't bad at all.


Just from the description you can tell it's not a college level class. Math 135 is what you need to take, but if you aren't planning on furthering your education and just want an "easy" math class as the OP h=asked for go ahead and take 118 and get your easy A
Mushy2000
Major
 
Posts: 189
Joined: March 2nd, 2010, 4:01 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby 82fb » December 31st, 2010, 8:39 pm

actually it depends on which degree you are seeking. Some Ivy Tech degrees simply require MATH 1XX meaning you can take any 100 level math class which obviously includes 118. And it also depends on where you want to transfer to... it does transfer to:

Ball State
IPFW
IU-East
Indiana State
and Vincennes


How do you know if the OP needs 135? They didn't mention which Ivy Tech degree they are seeking, where they might transfer, or if they even are planning to transfer at all.
82fb
Major
 
Posts: 241
Joined: March 17th, 2010, 2:01 am

Postby Mushy2000 » December 31st, 2010, 8:48 pm

82fb wrote:actually it depends on which degree you are seeking. Some Ivy Tech degrees simply require MATH 1XX meaning you can take any 100 level math class which obviously includes 118. And it also depends on where you want to transfer to... it does transfer to:

Ball State
IPFW
IU-East
Indiana State
and Vincennes


How do you know if the OP needs 135? They didn't mention which Ivy Tech degree they are seeking, where they might transfer, or if they even are planning to transfer at all.
Read the last line of my last post...
Mushy2000
Major
 
Posts: 189
Joined: March 2nd, 2010, 4:01 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby 82fb » January 1st, 2011, 2:09 pm

I did, but you still said they would need 135 if transferring and that's not true depending on where you go and what your majoring in. For instance I was looking into the Political Science program at IPFW and it requires 118 or 136. Not 135.
82fb
Major
 
Posts: 241
Joined: March 17th, 2010, 2:01 am

Postby Mushy2000 » January 1st, 2011, 5:54 pm

82fb wrote:I did, but you still said they would need 135 if transferring and that's not true depending on where you go and what your majoring in. For instance I was looking into the Political Science program at IPFW and it requires 118 or 136. Not 135.
I didn't say you need it, when I say "need" I was referring to furthering your math knowledge 135 is much harder than 118, the difficulty level is not even close. So like I said, if you want to take the easy class and get your A like the OP wanted you can.
Mushy2000
Major
 
Posts: 189
Joined: March 2nd, 2010, 4:01 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby amckinney39 » January 1st, 2011, 6:51 pm

How can you tell that it is not? It clearly states "Brief Survey of COLLEGE Mathematics."

Have you taken it?
It is not an "easy" A for some people. I didn't get an A and I'm not stupid by any means.

And again, some degrees do require 118, not 135. For Example the Criminal Justice degree for transfer to Ball State:
Core Curriculum - Curriculum of Record
Associate of Science in Criminal Justice
For Transfer To Ball State University
2010 - 2011
For Transfer From ITCC to Ball State University Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
Anderson - Bloomington - Columbus - Evansville - Fort Wayne - Indianapolis - Kokomo - Lafayette - Logansport - Marion - Muncie - Sellersburg - South Bend - Terre Haute - Valparaiso


General Education
BIOL 100 Human Biology 3
COMM 101 Fundamentals of Public Speaking 3
ENGL 111 English Composition 3
ENGL 112 Exposition and Persuasion 3
IVYT 1XX Life Skills Elective 1 - 3
MATH 118 Concepts in Mathematics 3 PHIL 101 Introduction to Philosophy 3
POLS 101 Introduction to American Government and Politics 3
PSYC 101 Introduction to Psychology 3
SOCI 111 Introduction to Sociology 3
General Education: 28 - 30


Professional-Technical
CRIM 101 Introduction to Criminal Justice Systems 3
CRIM 105 Introduction to Criminology 3
CRIM 110 Introduction to Law Enforcement 3
CRIM 120 Introduction to Courts 3
CRIM 130 Introduction to Corrections 3
CRIM 240 Criminal Law and Procedure 3
^ CRIM 260 Research Methods in Criminal Justice 3
ENVM 101 Introduction to Environmental Technology 3
XXXX XXX Criminal Justice (CRIM) or Homeland Security Emergency Management (HSEM) Electives 12
Professional-Technical: 36

Total: 64 - 66

Symbol Key
^ Capstone Course
amckinney39
Major
 
Posts: 208
Joined: July 22nd, 2010, 1:17 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby jcooper22 » January 2nd, 2011, 2:31 am

I took Math 118 summer semester and it's alot of formulas.
jcooper22
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 100
Joined: January 2nd, 2011, 2:28 am

Postby agwaltney » January 2nd, 2011, 12:06 pm

Mushy2000 wrote:if you want to take the easy class and get your A like the OP wanted you can.


Speak for yourself, LOL. I almost had a nervous breakdown (no joke!) trying to pass Math 050 in my first semester, which I'm told is stuff that kids do in high school these days. I had not been in school for 22 years and had NEVER taken an algebra class, even in high school, so those problems were literally like trying to read Japanese for me. With the help of my husband and a very patient instructor I left the class with a B, but to get that I had to go the whole semester with no sleep because I work a full time job all day, and stayed up into all hours of the night trying to understand the work in that course.
I'm now enrolled in 118 for the spring semester, and thats the last math I am required to take during my time at Ivy Tech. I am scared to death that I am facing another semester of sleepless nights and insanity.

And for the record, I am a 4.0 student, not someone who usually struggles with schoolwork. I just received an A in APHY 101, which some consider very hard to pass, so obviously the "easy A" label for 118 does not apply to everyone.
Last edited by agwaltney on January 2nd, 2011, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agwaltney
General
 
Posts: 621
Joined: December 15th, 2009, 10:22 am

Postby pawright67 » January 2nd, 2011, 6:47 pm

I totally agree with you agwaltney. Math does come easy for some but not everyone. Math118 has some "everyday" math in it like interest but there were a lot of formulas and it took a lot of time.

Patty
pawright67
General
 
Posts: 564
Joined: August 2nd, 2009, 8:50 pm

Postby Mushy2000 » January 3rd, 2011, 1:12 pm

agwaltney wrote:
Mushy2000 wrote:if you want to take the easy class and get your A like the OP wanted you can.


Speak for yourself, LOL. I almost had a nervous breakdown (no joke!) trying to pass Math 050 in my first semester, which I'm told is stuff that kids do in high school these days. I had not been in school for 22 years and had NEVER taken an algebra class, even in high school, so those problems were literally like trying to read Japanese for me. With the help of my husband and a very patient instructor I left the class with a B, but to get that I had to go the whole semester with no sleep because I work a full time job all day, and stayed up into all hours of the night trying to understand the work in that course.
I'm now enrolled in 118 for the spring semester, and thats the last math I am required to take during my time at Ivy Tech. I am scared to death that I am facing another semester of sleepless nights and insanity.

And for the record, I am a 4.0 student, not someone who usually struggles with schoolwork. I just received an A in APHY 101, which some consider very hard to pass, so obviously the "easy A" label for 118 does not apply to everyone.

I wish you the best of luck. But for people planning to transfer to more prestigious universities for higher education after IvyTech. Math 119 will not do. In most cases(happy?)
Mushy2000
Major
 
Posts: 189
Joined: March 2nd, 2010, 4:01 pm
Location: Indianapolis


Return to Classes and Instructors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests

cron