Online Instructor recommendations for ENG112,POLS101,ARTH110

This forum is to discuss and ask questions from your fellow students about specific Ivy Tech classes and instructors.
Links:Course search| Course Outlines | Curriculum for each program/degree

Moderator: mhygema

Forum rules
Be respectful of others
Do not initiate or participate in personal attacks
Do not use profanity
Do not post items for sale (including textbooks)
Do not post solicitations for businesses
Do not post spam
The moderator has the right to remove any posts or comments that do not follow these guidelines or that provide inaccurate information.
Thank you!

Online Instructor recommendations for ENG112,POLS101,ARTH110

Postby Aqeeli » September 13th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Hello everyone I hope everyone is having a great semester thus far!

I'm scheduling early for next semester, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend me an specific online instructor to any of these classes: ENG 112, POLS 101, and ARTH 110.

Also any thoughts or tips regarding these classes are highly appreciated. I am just curious to know from who ever took these classes were they challenging or easy going? If you would take them again would you prefer them on campus than online?

Thanks in advance !
Aqeeli
Major

Re: Online Instructor recommendations for ENG112,POLS101,ARTH110

Postby rclark17 » September 14th, 2011, 2:58 pm

I had Professor Nevins out of Columbus for ENG 112, I had him for several classes because I enjoyed his teaching style. We wrote one really big paper in that class but it was nice because he broke it up into different sections with one section due about every other week. All we had to do was edit the sections together and we had our final paper. I think we had to do some discussion posts but they were really easy and didn't take much time. He was very concerned about everyone doing well in his class(if you made the effort) and always emailed me back promptly if I had any questions. I ended the class with an A.
rclark17
Colonel

Region: Lawrence

Postby sarah1klein » September 21st, 2011, 5:40 pm

I have Christopher Allbright in Anderson for ENGL112, and I love him.

I realize this is going to win me lots of enemies, but I'm always leery when I hear "this instructor makes sure everybody does well".... I am tired of taking classes with people who "did well" via nice instructors but don't know a darn thing and are carrying that ignorance proudly towards their associate's degree. It's frustrating in the classroom, and even more frustrating in the work place!
sarah1klein
Private

Region: East Centrak

Postby rclark17 » September 22nd, 2011, 6:57 pm

sarah1klein wrote:I have Christopher Allbright in Anderson for ENGL112, and I love him.

I realize this is going to win me lots of enemies, but I'm always leery when I hear "this instructor makes sure everybody does well".... I am tired of taking classes with people who "did well" via nice instructors but don't know a darn thing and are carrying that ignorance proudly towards their associate's degree. It's frustrating in the classroom, and even more frustrating in the work place!

I can understand you wanting to be leery about "an instructor that makes sure everyone does well", but Prof Nevins knows his stuff. He has a masters in English(I believe) and served on a peer review English journal for Purdue University. He really does care that a student understands what he is teaching. I actually came out of his class liking to do annotative bibliography because I learned how they can keep me organized when doing a big research paper. However the student needs to make the effort to want to do well, if you didn't do the work he was very hard on you. I would say the average grade in my class was a B, but if you worked hard he gladly gave you an A.
rclark17
Colonel

Region: Lawrence

Postby Unmedicated Insanity » September 24th, 2011, 1:22 am

Nancy Grammer or Margaret (Peg) Ehlen out of Evansville.
Unmedicated Insanity
General

Postby Aqeeli » September 24th, 2011, 10:39 am

Unmedicated Insanity wrote:Nancy Grammer or Margaret (Peg) Ehlen out of Evansville.

For which class?
Aqeeli
Major

Postby Unmedicated Insanity » September 24th, 2011, 11:13 am

Aqeeli wrote:
Unmedicated Insanity wrote:Nancy Grammer or Margaret (Peg) Ehlen out of Evansville.

For which class?

English.
Unmedicated Insanity
General

Postby Aqeeli » September 24th, 2011, 11:20 pm

Unmedicated Insanity wrote:
Aqeeli wrote:

For which class?

English.

Oh ok. I'm curious whats the course load like in this class? I'm mean besides the essays and discussions board, was there a weekly quiz/test? hw?
Aqeeli
Major

Postby Unmedicated Insanity » September 25th, 2011, 11:22 am

Well for 112 I had Ehlen and there was weekly discussion board, five papers, and I think an annotated bibliography. It wasn't too bad at all.
Unmedicated Insanity
General

Return to Classes and Instructors