Pell Grant Owe Back Calculation

Moderator: mhygema

Pell Grant Owe Back Calculation

Postby mjanik1 » October 4th, 2011, 1:29 pm

I received a pell grant this semester. I need to drop a course due to not being able to run the required software. I contacted my local F.A. office and was told that I would owe money back on this course if I dropped. However, I was told that the calculation of what I would owe would not be determined until I actually dropped the course. I would assume that I would owe whatever the cost of the course was. Can anyone point me in a direction of how I might figure this calculation before I decide to drop or not. Or, direct me to where I can find out exactly how much my pell grant paid for this course?
mjanik1
General

Re: Pell Grant Owe Back Calculation

Postby farmer » October 4th, 2011, 2:04 pm

mjanik1 wrote:I received a pell grant this semester. I need to drop a course due to not being able to run the required software. I contacted my local F.A. office and was told that I would owe money back on this course if I dropped. However, I was told that the calculation of what I would owe would not be determined until I actually dropped the course. I would assume that I would owe whatever the cost of the course was. Can anyone point me in a direction of how I might figure this calculation before I decide to drop or not. Or, direct me to where I can find out exactly how much my pell grant paid for this course?

You can withdraw a class and not owe back. If you withdrawal from all of them that is when they calculate the Return of Title IV funds (FA). Here is the link http://www.ivytech.edu/financial-aid/fe ... eturn.html
Policies
Ivy Tech Community College is not required to take attendance. As per federal regulations, the calculation will be performed within 45 calendar days of the date of the school's determination that a student withdrew. The date the school determines that a student completely withdrew will be one of the following:
the date the student initiates the withdrawal from all enrolled classes for the term, the date the student initiates the withdrawal from the last enrolled class for the term, or the date the last failing grade is submitted to the Registrar's office.
farmer
General

Region: indiana

Postby mjanik1 » October 10th, 2011, 2:53 pm

I sent an e-mail on the 5th to my local F.A. Office to verify this information received, and also to ask if this information is incorrect, will I be expected to pay if I fail this course and have to re-take it. Today is now the 10th and I have not gotten a response to my e-mail. Anybody have any suggestions on how to find the "higer ups" in the F.A. Offices?

farmer wrote:
mjanik1 wrote:I received a pell grant this semester. I need to drop a course due to not being able to run the required software. I contacted my local F.A. office and was told that I would owe money back on this course if I dropped. However, I was told that the calculation of what I would owe would not be determined until I actually dropped the course. I would assume that I would owe whatever the cost of the course was. Can anyone point me in a direction of how I might figure this calculation before I decide to drop or not. Or, direct me to where I can find out exactly how much my pell grant paid for this course?

You can withdraw a class and not owe back. If you withdrawal from all of them that is when they calculate the Return of Title IV funds (FA). Here is the link http://www.ivytech.edu/financial-aid/fe ... eturn.html
Policies
Ivy Tech Community College is not required to take attendance. As per federal regulations, the calculation will be performed within 45 calendar days of the date of the school's determination that a student withdrew. The date the school determines that a student completely withdrew will be one of the following:
the date the student initiates the withdrawal from all enrolled classes for the term, the date the student initiates the withdrawal from the last enrolled class for the term, or the date the last failing grade is submitted to the Registrar's office.
mjanik1
General

Postby micki » October 10th, 2011, 3:29 pm

If all your classes are 16 weeks long then you will not owe back if you withdraw from one. You will only owe back if you withdraw from all of them. Go to ivytech.edu and click on the financial aid link and then awarding and disbursement policy. This is what it says but more info is there. Go to whitepages on CC and find the FA dept for your campus and you will see the contact information for the Director of FA there.
Federal Return of Funds
Federal financial aid recipients who withdraw or stop attending all classes before the 60 percent point in the term will owe money back to the federal government and/or Ivy Tech
micki
General

Region: Indiana

Postby mjanik1 » October 10th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Thanks for your response! I e-mailed the director of F.A. at my campus, and she said that I may owe money if I withdraw from the class or fail it depending on how I do in the rest of my classes and several other not specified instances. So basically, either way I'm screwed.

micki wrote:

If all your classes are 16 weeks long then you will not owe back if you withdraw from one. You will only owe back if you withdraw from all of them. Go to ivytech.edu and click on the financial aid link and then awarding and disbursement policy. This is what it says but more info is there. Go to whitepages on CC and find the FA dept for your campus and you will see the contact information for the Director of FA there.
Federal Return of Funds
Federal financial aid recipients who withdraw or stop attending all classes before the 60 percent point in the term will owe money back to the federal government and/or Ivy Tech
mjanik1
General

Postby micki » October 11th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Are you on Probation or have you done a 1st appeal already? If so, the Director is trying to help you, by having you complete the class regardless of software issues so you are not terminated and withdrawing from the class after you received the money, for it will not look good on your appeal. They base your aid on your enrollment. This class put you at 12 to receive full time aid, and even if you did have to pay back it would not just be the amount for the class, it would be whatever aid you received based on fulltime enrollment and that includes grants and loans. It is not too late in the semester for a 16 week class to try to catch up if you have missed a bit of work due to software issues. I would contact the instructor to see where you stand.
micki
General

Region: Indiana

Postby mjanik1 » October 11th, 2011, 1:55 pm

A few months ago I had to fill out some paper work because I was over my maximum time frame qualification. I filled out the paper work and never heard anything about it again, and according to my account I already get aid for the next semester so, I guess that got sorted.
I was only at 10 credit hours of enrollment this semester due to having to take another IVYT course because the one I took previously apparently no longer counts for anything.

I have contacted the instructor several times, if I can get the software to work this week and stay working, then yes it is possible that I can still pull off a passing grade, but that's a big if.

micki wrote:Are you on Probation or have you done a 1st appeal already? If so, the Director is trying to help you, by having you complete the class regardless of software issues so you are not terminated and withdrawing from the class after you received the money, for it will not look good on your appeal. They base your aid on your enrollment. This class put you at 12 to receive full time aid, and even if you did have to pay back it would not just be the amount for the class, it would be whatever aid you received based on fulltime enrollment and that includes grants and loans. It is not too late in the semester for a 16 week class to try to catch up if you have missed a bit of work due to software issues. I would contact the instructor to see where you stand.
mjanik1
General

Postby dbell72 » October 11th, 2011, 2:10 pm

If I may ask, what is the software? What kind of machine are you trying to get it to run on? Which class is it?
dbell72
General

Region: Kokomo

Postby ahickman2 » October 17th, 2011, 11:05 pm

I am in the same situation kinda. I'm taking APHY 101 for the second time. I got my acceptance letter for the RN program and now I want to drop APHY 101 since I don't need to re-take it now. I am currently enrolled in 15 credit hours. I went to FA and they told me that they did not know if I would have to pay anything back or not. She said if I did it would be $300-400. I have dropped a course before, back in Spring semester. I have never been on probation and my gpa is 3.435. What is everyones advice?
ahickman2
Major

Postby mjanik1 » October 18th, 2011, 7:37 pm

I'm taking Intro to Microcomputers. The software is My IT Lab, which students were instructed to download. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965 laptop, although I tried getting the software to run on a HP desktop and had the same problems.

dbell72 wrote:If I may ask, what is the software? What kind of machine are you trying to get it to run on? Which class is it?
mjanik1
General

Postby mjanik1 » October 18th, 2011, 7:40 pm

First of all, I would e-mail them again to confirm what you were told face to face, so that you have it in writing if they come back later on and say that "you misunderstood" what you were told. The director of my campus's F.A. Office tried this excuse a few days ago. If you have the 3-4 hundred dollars to pay it back, I would say drop the class and pay the money. Somebody on here told me that I would have to pay back the entire grant if I dropped, which was over 1,000 dollars. If I had that kind of money to spend, I wouldn't have needed the grant.

Good Luck!

ahickman2 wrote:I am in the same situation kinda. I'm taking APHY 101 for the second time. I got my acceptance letter for the RN program and now I want to drop APHY 101 since I don't need to re-take it now. I am currently enrolled in 15 credit hours. I went to FA and they told me that they did not know if I would have to pay anything back or not. She said if I did it would be $300-400. I have dropped a course before, back in Spring semester. I have never been on probation and my gpa is 3.435. What is everyones advice?
mjanik1
General

Postby farmer » October 19th, 2011, 1:12 am

mjanik1 wrote:First of all, I would e-mail them again to confirm what you were told face to face, so that you have it in writing if they come back later on and say that "you misunderstood" what you were told. The director of my campus's F.A. Office tried this excuse a few days ago. If you have the 3-4 hundred dollars to pay it back, I would say drop the class and pay the money. Somebody on here told me that I would have to pay back the entire grant if I dropped, which was over 1,000 dollars. If I had that kind of money to spend, I wouldn't have needed the grant.

Good Luck!

ahickman2 wrote:I am in the same situation kinda. I'm taking APHY 101 for the second time. I got my acceptance letter for the RN program and now I want to drop APHY 101 since I don't need to re-take it now. I am currently enrolled in 15 credit hours. I went to FA and they told me that they did not know if I would have to pay anything back or not. She said if I did it would be $300-400. I have dropped a course before, back in Spring semester. I have never been on probation and my gpa is 3.435. What is everyones advice?

I think the person you are referring to said they base your aid on your enrollment including grants and loans and if you withdraw then any money owed back will be based on your aid given, not just the amount of the class. If you withdraw from 1 class i dont see how you would owe back if you are enrolled in other classes.
farmer
General

Region: indiana

Postby ahickman2 » October 20th, 2011, 7:53 pm

farmer wrote:
mjanik1 wrote:First of all, I would e-mail them again to confirm what you were told face to face, so that you have it in writing if they come back later on and say that "you misunderstood" what you were told. The director of my campus's F.A. Office tried this excuse a few days ago. If you have the 3-4 hundred dollars to pay it back, I would say drop the class and pay the money. Somebody on here told me that I would have to pay back the entire grant if I dropped, which was over 1,000 dollars. If I had that kind of money to spend, I wouldn't have needed the grant.

Good Luck!

I think the person you are referring to said they base your aid on your enrollment including grants and loans and if you withdraw then any money owed back will be based on your aid given, not just the amount of the class. If you withdraw from 1 class i dont see how you would owe back if you are enrolled in other classes.

FA said it would lower my Obannon grant amount and there is a chance that I would have to pay that money. I dropped it so I guess I will wait and see if I have a bill or not =/

It xxx that they can't give me a straight answer. But oh well I suppose.
ahickman2
Major

Return to Grants