ASTR 101

Moderator: mhygema

ASTR 101

Postby Unmedicated Insanity » May 18th, 2011, 1:46 pm

What is this class like? Especially taking it in the summer? If I took it online, would I need to purchase anything special for it, like some sort of lab package?
Unmedicated Insanity
General

Re: ASTR 101

Postby kjohnson382 » May 18th, 2011, 1:56 pm

When I took it there wasn't any kind of lab kit. The book comes with some cd that I never used but it wasn't overall too hard if you don't mind putting some outside research time in. I had Al Naziripour and majority of our work seemed to have little to nothing to do with our reading assignments. We had 6 discussion boards, 4 labs, proctored mid-term and final (we could take notes with us though) and if I remember correctly there was a quiz over the reading every week. I passed the class with an A and I am pretty horrible with all thing science. Oh, one last thing, don't expect much feedback from the professor if you take it with Naziripour. The only thing I ever really heard from him was that the deadlines were just a guideline and to just make sure the proctored test were done on time and that everything else was in by the end of the semester.
kjohnson382
Lieutenant

Postby Unmedicated Insanity » May 18th, 2011, 1:59 pm

kjohnson382 wrote:When I took it there wasn't any kind of lab kit. The book comes with some cd that I never used but it wasn't overall too hard if you don't mind putting some outside research time in. I had Al Naziripour and majority of our work seemed to have little to nothing to do with our reading assignments. We had 6 discussion boards, 4 labs, proctored mid-term and final (we could take notes with us though) and if I remember correctly there was a quiz over the reading every week. I passed the class with an A and I am pretty horrible with all thing science. Oh, one last thing, don't expect much feedback from the professor if you take it with Naziripour. The only thing I ever really heard from him was that the deadlines were just a guideline and to just make sure the proctored test were done on time and that everything else was in by the end of the semester.

Okay so no extra money for a lab package. Good to know. So how interesting did you find it?
Unmedicated Insanity
General

Postby kjohnson382 » May 18th, 2011, 2:45 pm

Unmedicated Insanity wrote:
kjohnson382 wrote:When I took it there wasn't any kind of lab kit. The book comes with some cd that I never used but it wasn't overall too hard if you don't mind putting some outside research time in. I had Al Naziripour and majority of our work seemed to have little to nothing to do with our reading assignments. We had 6 discussion boards, 4 labs, proctored mid-term and final (we could take notes with us though) and if I remember correctly there was a quiz over the reading every week. I passed the class with an A and I am pretty horrible with all thing science. Oh, one last thing, don't expect much feedback from the professor if you take it with Naziripour. The only thing I ever really heard from him was that the deadlines were just a guideline and to just make sure the proctored test were done on time and that everything else was in by the end of the semester.

Okay so no extra money for a lab package. Good to know. So how interesting did you find it?

There was some information in the book that I had never heard of and found very interesting same went for the discussion boards but when it came to the labs I found those to be very pointless. They never tied in to the reading and I remember the first one was mainly calculations, which didn't make much sense to me, but overall I enjoyed the class.
kjohnson382
Lieutenant

Postby Unmedicated Insanity » May 18th, 2011, 3:06 pm

kjohnson382 wrote:
Unmedicated Insanity wrote:

There was some information in the book that I had never heard of and found very interesting same went for the discussion boards but when it came to the labs I found those to be very pointless. They never tied in to the reading and I remember the first one was mainly calculations, which didn't make much sense to me, but overall I enjoyed the class.

What exactly did you have to do for the labs?
Unmedicated Insanity
General

Postby kjohnson382 » May 18th, 2011, 3:52 pm

The first lab was about the size of the solar system. We had to do a lot of calculations and make large and small scale models of the solar system. We had to submit our calculations and answer 12 or so questions on our observations. The second lab was probably the simplest, it was over the phases of the moon and you basically just filled in a chart. The third lab was to create the nucleus of a comet and answer some question over our observations of it. The last lab was about craters and we had to do the whole drop a variety of objects from different distances and report on the differences in the craters each made along with answering questions.
kjohnson382
Lieutenant

Postby astroud13 » May 19th, 2011, 10:09 am

In the spring it had four online labs, but yeah no extra lab kit...just a book.
astroud13
Captain

Postby Unmedicated Insanity » May 19th, 2011, 2:20 pm

astroud13 wrote:In the spring it had four online labs, but yeah no extra lab kit...just a book.

This doesn't sound like too challenging of a class.
Unmedicated Insanity
General

Postby astroud13 » May 20th, 2011, 9:56 am

I have not taken it, just going by the syllabus. I imagine it still is a pretty challenging class because astronomy is not the easiest of subject areas.
astroud13
Captain

Postby scarletfire75 » June 2nd, 2011, 9:16 am

Hello :)
After reviewing your conversation...
I ordered my book used but it did not come with the "Mastering Astronomy" cd -- so, you did not use this cd while taking the class?
THANK YOU!
scarletfire75
Private

Region: Lawrenceburg

Postby kjohnson382 » June 2nd, 2011, 6:41 pm

scarletfire75 wrote:Hello :)
After reviewing your conversation...
I ordered my book used but it did not come with the "Mastering Astronomy" cd -- so, you did not use this cd while taking the class?
THANK YOU!

I never even opened the cd.
kjohnson382
Lieutenant

Postby limofranky » September 3rd, 2011, 1:26 pm

Hello I have been reading the posts for this class, could someone give me the name or title of the book , the edition, and author. Just want to see if I can handle it. Any examples of the calculations required would be of help too. I'm not all I should be with math.

Thanks
limofranky
Private

Region: north central

Return to Classes