IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Moderator: mhygema

IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby maggieslyh » November 7th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Are you kidding me? I'm 39. I've been to college before. I work close to 50 hours a week and i'm taking (and acing) 2 other classes. This class is a HUGE waste of my time. It's filled with busy work such as scavenger hunts asking questions i couldn't care less about the answers to. Ivy Tech is supposed to be student friendly. They need to stop wasting my time. This is supposed to teach me time management? It's costing me more of a commodity of which i have very little. TIME.
maggieslyh
Private
 
Posts: 5
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 5:44 pm
Region: Richmond

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby msbungle » November 7th, 2011, 9:55 pm

These types of classes come with all colleges. No idea why the exist.
msbungle
General
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 11:24 am

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby ChellaJ » November 8th, 2011, 10:11 am

I am 44 and while I do find some of the things in the book a little silly, I have enjoyed this class so far. Although I have a very good handle on my time management, the things I have learned are helping me to teach my own children a little better.

Every college has these type of classes. It is a very easy class that should be an easy "A". It may not be a traditional academic course and might be more of what you consider "a waste of time" but there is no way around it. You might as well accept it for what it is - an easy class(although somewhat silly) that will help boost your gpa while reminding you of ways to be a little better. We all have room to improve.
ChellaJ
Corporal
 
Posts: 25
Joined: August 29th, 2011, 8:41 am
Region: MidWest

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby maggieslyh » November 8th, 2011, 10:41 am

I have to disagree. I've been to other colleges and I've NEVER been required to take a course like this. This is a time waster. I already know my learning style. I already know how to find things on campus. I already know how to use the library. I already have to be careful with my time. What i don't need is a "higher institution" assuming I don't know these things.
maggieslyh
Private
 
Posts: 5
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 5:44 pm
Region: Richmond

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby dbell72 » November 8th, 2011, 1:43 pm

There is more than just 101 available to take in order to satisfy the IVYT requirement. Obviously, that class is meant for people who are new to college and younger. I took 104 instead since I am neither new to college nor young (at least not traditional-first-time-college young).
dbell72
General
 
Posts: 505
Joined: July 16th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Region: Kokomo

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby Mellifluousmoose » November 8th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Someone is being a victim......
Mellifluousmoose
Private
 
Posts: 3
Joined: November 8th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Region: central

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby rclark17 » November 8th, 2011, 5:08 pm

dbell72 wrote:There is more than just 101 available to take in order to satisfy the IVYT requirement. Obviously, that class is meant for people who are new to college and younger. I took 104 instead since I am neither new to college nor young (at least not traditional-first-time-college young).


I agree, I can't remember the number but I took a class about finding sources from the internet and evaluating them, it came in handy when I took my ENG111 class. A lot of colleges are starting(if they aren't already) to use classes like these as introductions to college.
rclark17
Colonel
 
Posts: 314
Joined: April 4th, 2011, 11:07 pm
Region: Lawrence

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby maggieslyh » November 9th, 2011, 10:14 am

Mellifluousmoose wrote:Someone is being a victim......


Really? Who would that be?
maggieslyh
Private
 
Posts: 5
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 5:44 pm
Region: Richmond

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby maggieslyh » November 9th, 2011, 10:29 am

rclark17 wrote:
dbell72 wrote:There is more than just 101 available to take in order to satisfy the IVYT requirement. Obviously, that class is meant for people who are new to college and younger. I took 104 instead since I am neither new to college nor young (at least not traditional-first-time-college young).


I agree, I can't remember the number but I took a class about finding sources from the internet and evaluating them, it came in handy when I took my ENG111 class. A lot of colleges are starting(if they aren't already) to use classes like these as introductions to college.


I've already taken ENG 111. I transferred the credit in. I've taken A&P I and II. Intro to psych, Educational Psych, Human Sexuality, Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communications, a slew of Western Civ courses, Mass communications, Irish Lit, American Lit, British Lit, Race, Class, and Gender, etc, etc, etc... I'm very good at research. I'm very good at writing papers. I'm even good at time management because I have to be. I'm not a "victim". I don't claim to be one and I don't play the part. I work easily 50 hours/wk if not more. I work an hour and a half away from where i live. I'm enrolled in 3 courses all of which i have A's in. And I'm helping my mother renovate her house. What I'm saying is that if you've been through the system before you really don't need an intro to the system. This class IS a waste of my time. I've yet to learn something i didn't pick up the first time around. I was given the choice when registering of either IvyT101 or 120 end of story. I'm not a new student. Why am I required to take a new student seminar? Not only that but the instructor of the section i was originally registered for was someone on staff who i couldn't get a return phone call, email, note from. I had to go to their supervisor. Upon seeing this person was the instructor of my "Life Skills" course i promptly swicthed sections. Am I annoyed. Yeah. Slightly.
maggieslyh
Private
 
Posts: 5
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 5:44 pm
Region: Richmond

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby dbell72 » November 9th, 2011, 3:28 pm

Sounds like 104 might have been more useful to you. I read a lot of stories on here about bad advisement but at least on my degree requirements, it says IVTY 1XX, not 101, 120, 104 or anything specific. It appears that 11 different IVYT courses (actual courses, not sections or anything) would have met the requirement and there is a decent range in the subject matter covered. I know that many were offered in an online format so I was not restricted to a certain campus offering.

I was a pre-med student when I first began college so, needless to say, I have taken a myriad of intensive courses on many things. Even so, critical thinking (the subject of my IVYT course) remains quite possibly, the most useful skill to have, to practice and to receive constructive criticism upon, and to master, no matter what major is being pursued. I'm glad I chose it and I've enjoyed the class.
dbell72
General
 
Posts: 505
Joined: July 16th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Region: Kokomo

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby farmer » November 9th, 2011, 4:00 pm

maggieslyh wrote:Are you kidding me? I'm 39. I've been to college before. I work close to 50 hours a week and i'm taking (and acing) 2 other classes. This class is a HUGE waste of my time. It's filled with busy work such as scavenger hunts asking questions i couldn't care less about the answers to. Ivy Tech is supposed to be student friendly. They need to stop wasting my time. This is supposed to teach me time management? It's costing me more of a commodity of which i have very little. TIME.


I agree that these Ivy classes are a waste of time and I do not care what course number they are. They are taking away time from other classes or other important matters. Since it is a required course for all students, I do wonder who benefits most, the student or Ivy Tech. I think the latter. I have attended other colleges and they do not require a class like this.
farmer
General
 
Posts: 461
Joined: September 8th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Region: indiana

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby rclark17 » November 9th, 2011, 4:42 pm

maggieslyh wrote:
rclark17 wrote:
dbell72 wrote:There is more than just 101 available to take in order to satisfy the IVYT requirement. Obviously, that class is meant for people who are new to college and younger. I took 104 instead since I am neither new to college nor young (at least not traditional-first-time-college young).


I agree, I can't remember the number but I took a class about finding sources from the internet and evaluating them, it came in handy when I took my ENG111 class. A lot of colleges are starting(if they aren't already) to use classes like these as introductions to college.


I've already taken ENG 111. I transferred the credit in. I've taken A&P I and II. Intro to psych, Educational Psych, Human Sexuality, Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communications, a slew of Western Civ courses, Mass communications, Irish Lit, American Lit, British Lit, Race, Class, and Gender, etc, etc, etc... I'm very good at research. I'm very good at writing papers. I'm even good at time management because I have to be. I'm not a "victim". I don't claim to be one and I don't play the part. I work easily 50 hours/wk if not more. I work an hour and a half away from where i live. I'm enrolled in 3 courses all of which i have A's in. And I'm helping my mother renovate her house. What I'm saying is that if you've been through the system before you really don't need an intro to the system. This class IS a waste of my time. I've yet to learn something i didn't pick up the first time around. I was given the choice when registering of either IvyT101 or 120 end of story. I'm not a new student. Why am I required to take a new student seminar? Not only that but the instructor of the section i was originally registered for was someone on staff who i couldn't get a return phone call, email, note from. I had to go to their supervisor. Upon seeing this person was the instructor of my "Life Skills" course i promptly swicthed sections. Am I annoyed. Yeah. Slightly.


First off, I'm not the one calling you a victim, so don't get up on me for all that.
The point I was trying to make is that not everyone is going to find it a total waste of time, I too was a little miffed that I had to take the class but I made the most of the situation and did what I came back to college to do...learn. I made the most out of the pointless class and learned something that I didn't know before. You might not be a new student but you are new to Ivy Tech and the class is an easy A to introduce you to their system.
rclark17
Colonel
 
Posts: 314
Joined: April 4th, 2011, 11:07 pm
Region: Lawrence

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby msbungle » November 9th, 2011, 9:04 pm

*shrug* I know IU-Northwest required you to take a 1-2 credit hour class, that are very basic/intro. At least they had a few that were helpful, like BLS certification.
msbungle
General
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 11:24 am

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby ChellaJ » November 9th, 2011, 10:25 pm

As I see it, you are going to Ivy Tech. They require it. Like it or not, you take it like all of us do. You can hate it and kick and scream all you want, but you have to take the class. If it is such a waste of your precious time, drop it and don't graduate from Ivy Tech.

FYI, even after taking this beginning student class, when I transfer to IUPUI in 2 years, I have to take their student success class BEFORE I can be accepted into the major. I hope that when that time comes, I can be a mature adult and sum it up to the college experience.
ChellaJ
Corporal
 
Posts: 25
Joined: August 29th, 2011, 8:41 am
Region: MidWest

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby rclark17 » November 9th, 2011, 10:32 pm

msbungle wrote:*shrug* I know IU-Northwest required you to take a 1-2 credit hour class, that are very basic/intro. At least they had a few that were helpful, like BLS certification.


IU-Bloomington also now does that too, they didn't ten years ago when I went there.
rclark17
Colonel
 
Posts: 314
Joined: April 4th, 2011, 11:07 pm
Region: Lawrence

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby IrishPride » April 9th, 2012, 5:29 pm

I am currently in a degree program .However,due to a number of issues I will need to switch to courses only . Do I need to still need to take the class ? I am trying to get it dropped ,but have had no response so far .It has been a pain to get this course off .
IrishPride
Corporal
 
Posts: 26
Joined: October 4th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Region: Indiana

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby farmer » April 9th, 2012, 6:54 pm

[quote="IrishPride"]I am currently in a degree program .However,due to a number of issues I will need to switch to courses only . Do I need to still need to take the class ? I am trying to get it dropped ,but have had no response so far .It has been a pain to get this course off .[/quote]

Your advisor will have to drop this class for you. I am not sure if they will require you to take this class if you switch to courses only, I would call admissions about this. One thing about courses only, you cannot receive financial aid (grants, loans and etc) so it would be out of pocket.
farmer
General
 
Posts: 461
Joined: September 8th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Region: indiana

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby ewooder » April 11th, 2012, 2:08 am

I agree 100%! The class is a total waste of time and money. I AM a first time student and I found it a waste of time. Luckily it was only an 8 week course and I finished it already (with an A). Yes it was easy, but that doesn't change that it was a WASTE OF TIME. I didn't learn a single thing from this class. I will admit that this might have been different had I had a better teacher (she chose to talk about herself almost the entire class time). But I still think I would've been perfectly A-ok without taking this class. Had I not been required to take this class I could've taken another class that I need instead of IvyT (I didn't think I could handle 6 classes in my first semester though).
ewooder
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 75
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 11:57 pm
Region: Elkhart

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby Still*Standin*000 » April 17th, 2012, 9:54 am

I agree. I was so annoyed during my first week of class.I am 42, and in class with 18 year olds. The questions and case studies were geared toward young kids.I am taking online classes and for some reason, I ended up driving to the campus twice a week for only this class. Waste of gas and time. One day, all they talked about was Whitney Houston's death! two weeks left, thank God. I probably am not getting an A though because I didn't go every week.It takes away from important classes. FRUSTRATING!!! And actually, this is my second semester, so I had to figure evrything out myself the first semester. No one mentioned this the first semester when I was signing up.
Still*Standin*000
Corporal
 
Posts: 28
Joined: March 12th, 2012, 7:04 am
Region: NWI

Re: IVYT 101 What a flippin joke!

Postby Still*Standin*000 » April 17th, 2012, 9:58 am

My teacher is awesome though and funny and tries to make the best of it.If you actually read the book, there are some helpful hints in there, but not enough to make a whole class of it. Maybe a one week course to show how to use the library and blackboard.
Still*Standin*000
Corporal
 
Posts: 28
Joined: March 12th, 2012, 7:04 am
Region: NWI


Return to Classes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron