Biology 101 online

Moderator: mhygema

Biology 101 online

Postby jhawks2 » May 9th, 2011, 9:03 pm

I need a good online instructor for Biology 101, who has taking this class and what was your instructors name and campus?
jhawks2
Corporal

Re: Biology 101 online

Postby Unmedicated Insanity » May 9th, 2011, 10:38 pm

I did not take biology online, but I did take human biology this semester on campus with Vanessa Fritz from Evansville. She is a superb instructor and I feel that she would make a great online teacher as well. She was always happy to provide clarification on any subject that someone found confusing. She would put great effort into making sure just one person understood something. I am sure she would do the same online if you had any questions.
Unmedicated Insanity
General

Postby msbungle » May 10th, 2011, 11:05 am

My friend took Bio 101 online and had trouble with the instructor. He contacted this persons supervisor and was essentially told that "teachers have a limited ability to help students who take this course online. Their hands are tied."

Take it as you will.
msbungle
General

Postby Unmedicated Insanity » May 10th, 2011, 2:05 pm

msbungle wrote:My friend took Bio 101 online and had trouble with the instructor. He contacted this persons supervisor and was essentially told that "teachers have a limited ability to help students who take this course online. Their hands are tied."

Take it as you will.

I think msbungle has a very good point.

Science classes are generally harder for most people. I don't know how some of the concepts could ever have been comprehended so quickly without a lecture every Wednesday afternoon. Biology is amazing, I love it. But it is very difficult. If you can, take it on campus.
Unmedicated Insanity
General

Postby jhawks2 » May 10th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Has anyone heard of or taking Biology 101 with Jerry W. Kousen from the South Bend campus?
Last edited by jhawks2 on May 10th, 2011, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhawks2
Corporal

Postby jhawks2 » May 10th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Unmedicated and msbungle I defiantly see your points, i am very nervous about an online science class. I am not able to take it in person because it is only available during the day and i really need to get this class over with to graduate. There must be a competent online instructor for this class...
jhawks2
Corporal

Postby robbins » May 11th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Isabell Peters, I believe it was out of Richmond.
robbins
Private

Postby jhawks2 » May 11th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Robbins would you recommend this instructor for the 8 week class? How was her testing and required work?
jhawks2
Corporal

Postby robbins » May 12th, 2011, 5:01 pm

jhawks2 wrote:Robbins would you recommend this instructor for the 8 week class? How was her testing and required work?

This was a hard class in 16 weeks, I can't even imagine taking it in 8. That aside, I would recommend this instructor. She was quick to answer emails and offer her help. She actually asked if I would write a help guide for the labs from a student's perspective.

You do have to purchase a lab kit, if you haven't looked into this it is about $300. I was told they were making changes to the lab kit for the next semester, so the cost might be different now. There was a chapter every week (long) to read, a chapter quiz that was timed, and then the lab and lab report. The midterm and final were both proctored. They were timed (2 hrs) and you could use your book and notes. You really need to have read and understood the material going into those test. They were hard (in my opinion) and there was not enough time to look up all of the answers. The questions were not directly taken from the text, you had to be able to read between the lines.

This class is not extremely HARD, however it is time consuming. If you have to take it this summer, my advice is to not take anyother classes (or at least hard ones) and make sure that you have enough time available to devote to Biology! :) I did like the class and Isabell is a great online instructor.
robbins
Private

Postby jhawks2 » May 12th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Thank you Robbins, you are very informative... I hate the thought of taking this class during the summer, but i really need to get it over. Thanks again...
jhawks2
Corporal

Postby KevinWolf » May 19th, 2011, 5:46 am

robbins wrote:Isabell Peters, I believe it was out of Richmond.

I had her in this spring. She is very strict with the grades for the discussion boards and will not give you a extend date for the discussion board, even if you have an medical condition. She clams that in the syllabus it clearly states that but I have had instructors from other classes that has given a extended date for everything.
KevinWolf
Private

Region: Richmond

Postby msbungle » May 19th, 2011, 10:37 am

KevinWolf wrote:
robbins wrote:Isabell Peters, I believe it was out of Richmond.

I had her in this spring. She is very strict with the grades for the discussion boards and will not give you a extend date for the discussion board, even if you have an medical condition. She clams that in the syllabus it clearly states that but I have had instructors from other classes that has given a extended date for everything.

Some instructors are very strict, others not so much.
msbungle
General

Return to Instructors