Math 118 online

This forum is for questions and concerns that don't fit anywhere else.
General campus announcements such as weather closings and system outages will be posted here.
Links:Ivy Tech Main Page| Ivy Tech FAQ

Moderator: mhygema

Forum rules
Be respectful of others
Do not initiate or participate in personal attacks
Do not use profanity
Do not post items for sale (including textbooks)
Do not post solicitations for businesses
Do not post spam
The moderator has the right to remove any posts or comments that do not follow these guidelines or that provide inaccurate information.
Thank you!

Math 118 online

Postby ewooder » March 21st, 2012, 2:15 am

Has anyone taken this? Is it a lot harder than a face-to-face math class? I have Patricia Mcrindle at the Elkhart campus. Is she a good teacher to have for an online class?
ewooder
Lieutenant

Region: Elkhart

Re: Math 118 online

Postby TripleToeLoop » March 21st, 2012, 2:43 am

Hi, ewooder.

I have taken Math 118 online and, for me, it was difficult but not impossible. I took Math 015 last summer and did very well in the class, but it really didn't prepare me at all for 118 (I had been told that if I wasn't going to take a math higher than 118 there was no reason to take any of the other academic skills advancement classes for math).

It's difficult to compare Math 015 face-to-face and Math 118 online because it isn't the same type of math. But I think that for someone who may need to hear a lecture and see problems being worked out, face-to-face is obviously a much better choice.

The types of math covered in 118 were things I'd never heard of and/or never worked with prior to taking the class: Venn diagrams, lots of statistics-related work, finances (such as multiple ways to compute interest, installment payments), etc.

There are two exams for the class: midterm and final exam. At least for my class, the midterm covered everything from the first 1/2 of the class and the final covered everything from the second 1/2 of the class. We were given a sheet at our proctoring site that had a few formulas on it, but it certainly didn't have everything on it. The two exams are very weighted; combined they accounted for 70% of the total score for the class. All the other work you do for the class (a few discussion boards, weekly homework, section quizzes) really didn't count for much in the whole scheme of things.

The way my online course was set up (and I assume that all online courses for Math 118 are similar) is that you have your textbook, a second book with the answers to the problems from the book, and access to My Math Lab where you'll do your homework. Unless someone is very good at this type of math, I would definitely advice them to work out the book problems in addition to the homework. There are quizzes that you'll take in My Math Lab that can be pretty hard.

I don't want to scare you off from taking this course online! Just know that it can be very time consuming. I earned a B in the class, which is really good for me, especially since I didn't do very good on the midterm.

I'm not familiar with the instructor you mentioned. I had Christine Robinette out of ... Marion or Muncie?? Sheesh, it's only been a few months and I can't remember where she was from. She was very nice and quick to respond to questions (such as when I clicked on the "Ask your instructor" link in the homework section in MML).

However you choose to take this class, good luck!
TripleToeLoop
Corporal

Postby ewooder » March 21st, 2012, 4:40 pm

Well darn.. I am taking Math 023 right now in a face-to-face class and am starting to struggle (we're doing division of monomials and polynomials, something I've never done before). The reason I chose the online one was because they didn't have any night classes. I think I may have to take it face-to-face, it sounds kind of hard (and I used to consider myself good at math).

Thank you for your reply!
ewooder
Lieutenant

Postby mort2012 » March 21st, 2012, 11:12 pm

Hey, I'm in Math118 f2f right now in Indy. OMG, I can not imagine only two tests for this class! We are getting reading to take our test 3. Then our test 4 and 150 pt final (test 5) will be the last two class. Math015 was pretty much test one, if your in Math023 you should really well for test one...that is if you take it face to face. Good luck!
mort2012
General

Postby TripleToeLoop » March 22nd, 2012, 4:33 am

Math 118 was really scary for me because I was so unfamiliar with the topics.

I pulled out my textbook from last semester ("Thinking Mathematically" by Robert Blitzer, 4th edition. ISBN 0-558-06384-5) so that I could list some of the chapter contents.

Chapter 1: Problem Solving and Critical Thinking (we didn't do this chapter)
Chapter 2: Set Theory (set concepts, subsets, Venn diagrams and set operations, set operations and Venn diagrams with three sets, survey problems)
Chapter 3: Logic (I can't remember if we did this chapter or not)
Chapter 4: Number Representation and Calculation (we didn't do this chapter)
Chapter 5: Number Theory and the Real Number System
Chapter 6: Algebra: Equations and Inequalities
Chapter 7: Algebra: Graphs, Functions, and Linear Systems
Chapter 8: Consumer Mathematics and Financial Management
Chapter 9: Measurement
Chapter 10: Geometry (we didn't do this chapter)
Chapter 11: Counting Methods and Probability Theory (Fundamental Counting Principle; Permutations; Combinations; Probability with the FCP, Permutations, and Combinations; Events involving "Not" or "Or"; Odds; Events Involving "And"; Conditional Probability.)
Chapter 12: Statistics
Chapter 13: Mathematical Systems (I don't think we did this chapter)
Chapter 14: Voting and Apportionment
Chapter 15: Graph Theory

I know some of the chapters we didn't do, but I can't remember which ones.

I don't want to scare anyone away from the online class. Some people just "get it" better than others (and count me as an "other" who had to work really, really hard to get it).

Here's a suggestion: try Googling some of the concepts from above and see what you think. Here's a slide show that covers some of the "Probability with the FCP, Permutations, and Combinations" topic: http://www.slideshare.net/MrPolynomial/115-probability-with-fundamental-counting-principles-permutation-and-combination . A friend of mine who homeschools her kids said that there's an online site - I think it was called Khan's Academy - that was very helpful in understanding a lot of these concepts. I think she said there were videos and other resources. I will say that the discs that come bundled with the textbook package did not help me in the least.

As I said before, I earned a B in this class. And I have struggled with Math consistently since 2nd or 3rd grade (illness forced me to miss out on learning subtraction, so it seemed like I was always playing catch up. It wasn't until I worked with money that certain principles "clicked" for me).

From my experience with 118, allowing a significant amount of time to work through the book problems is imperative. Only when I shifted my studies around to allow more time (and also started studying the material earlier in the week) did I feel slightly more comfortable. I tried to incorporate some of the math study skills I learned in 015 into 118.
TripleToeLoop
Corporal

Postby TripleToeLoop » March 22nd, 2012, 4:37 am

[quote="mort2012"]Hey, I'm in Math118 f2f right now in Indy. OMG, I can not imagine only two tests for this class! We are getting reading to take our test 3. Then our test 4 and 150 pt final (test 5) will be the last two class. Math015 was pretty much test one, if your in Math023 you should really well for test one...that is if you take it face to face. Good luck![/quote]

It was really tough having these two exams equal 70% of my total grade. I would have much preferred to have it broken down into smaller chunks. In our final discussion board for the class, it seems like most students commented on how the weighting of the exams needed to be revised, and perhaps more exams were needed. Every time the class seemed to be impossible I would think about those students who took it as an 8 or 10 week course over the summer... OUCH!
TripleToeLoop
Corporal

Postby mort2012 » March 22nd, 2012, 5:41 am

Hey TTL, did you review all the chapters. We are doing Chapters 2, 6,7,8,9,11 and 12. Not in that order. Man, if you had to do the entire book, I have no idea how you survived!!
mort2012
General

Postby TripleToeLoop » March 22nd, 2012, 4:56 pm

[quote="mort2012"]Hey TTL, did you review all the chapters. We are doing Chapters 2, 6,7,8,9,11 and 12. Not in that order. Man, if you had to do the entire book, I have no idea how you survived!![/quote]

No, no! OMG, I would have passed out from stress if we'd done the whole book! The chapters you listed sound like the ones we covered. It seemed like we spent forever on permutations, combinations, etc. I do remember jumping around in the book a lot.

For me, the hardest thing about the two exams was the memorization all the formulas. The sheet that we were given at the proctoring site (which was also available in the resources list for the class) just didn't have enough information on it. When there are so many different formulas for all the topics, they all blur in my head and I can't remember which goes with what type of problem (especially the financial problems).

I know that there are practical applications to *some* of the areas covered in this class, but I really don't see using the majority of it in the real world. Figuring out the odds when betting on Roulette probably isn't in my future. Figuring out how many combinations of students can be taken on a bus if only seven can go at a time isn't something I've ever had the need to understand. :-)
TripleToeLoop
Corporal

Postby ewooder » March 23rd, 2012, 2:07 am

Yikes! That scares me. I dropped my online Math 118 and registered for a f-t-f class. I feel better about the class now that I know I'll have a "real" teacher and classroom setting.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
ewooder
Lieutenant

Postby mort2012 » March 24th, 2012, 1:55 pm

[quote="ewooder"]Yikes! That scares me. I dropped my online Math 118 and registered for a f-t-f class. I feel better about the class now that I know I'll have a "real" teacher and classroom setting.

Thanks for all your help everyone.[/quote]

I'll tell ya one thing! Get to every class. I believe I witnessed a good portion of my class fail our third test today, because they weren't present to learn how to use the calculator for this test. I was done in 45 minutes, the other half of the student were looking green! Just a little tidbit there! I sadly wished I was joking, but I am not.
mort2012
General

Postby TripleToeLoop » March 24th, 2012, 4:59 pm

[quote="mort2012"][quote="ewooder"]Yikes! That scares me. I dropped my online Math 118 and registered for a f-t-f class. I feel better about the class now that I know I'll have a "real" teacher and classroom setting.

Thanks for all your help everyone.[/quote]

I'll tell ya one thing! Get to every class. I believe I witnessed a good portion of my class fail our third test today, because they weren't present to learn how to use the calculator for this test. I was done in 45 minutes, the other half of the student were looking green! Just a little tidbit there! I sadly wished I was joking, but I am not.[/quote]

That's great advice, Mort. When I took Math 015 f2f, the students who didn't show up for many classes didn't do well on the exams (especially as this was a 10 week course). Whenever I missed a class, I would work very hard to make sure I followed what the course calendar said, and paid extra attention to any review time we had during the next class.

It's the little things that are so important in education. Being present (even with online classes), both physically and mentally, is one of the keys to successful learning.

@ewooder: I wish you much success with your f2f 118 class!
TripleToeLoop
Corporal

Postby ewooder » March 24th, 2012, 11:52 pm

Oh I'll definately be in every class, I have never missed class and have only been late once (and only by 4 minutes lol). I figure if I'm paying for these classes I better show up and do my best or else I'm just throwing my money down the drain! I always find it odd when students only show up on test day and skip the rest of the classes.

Thanks everyone. :)
ewooder
Lieutenant

Return to General