Can you attend Ivy Tech without GED or HS Diploma?

This forum is designed to discuss Admissions/Transfer processes at Ivy Tech Community College.
Links:Online Admissions Application

Moderator: mhygema

Forum rules
Be respectful of others
Do not initiate or participate in personal attacks
Do not use profanity
Do not post items for sale (including textbooks)
Do not post solicitations for businesses
Do not post spam
The moderator has the right to remove any posts or comments that do not follow these guidelines or that provide inaccurate information.
Thank you!

Can you attend Ivy Tech without GED or HS Diploma?

Postby cneidigh » June 24th, 2009, 10:45 pm

can you start ivy tech with out a ged? and if so how long do they give you to get it?
cneidigh
Private

Postby bpuls » June 25th, 2009, 11:22 am

GED is required for acceptance to Ivy Tech.

http://www.ivytech.edu/apply-now.html

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can do anything else. Thanks
bpuls

Postby kelticwolf79 » June 25th, 2009, 7:35 pm

GED scores are NOT required when applying to Ivy Tech - that has been changed. I work in admissions. What you need to do, if you do not have a GED or HS diploma is test as high as you can on your COMPASS test so that you are eligible for Ability to Benefit which gives you one year to get those in to us. In fact, when scheduling your COMPASS test, let the person who is scheduling you know that you are trying for the ability to benefit program.
kelticwolf79
Private

Postby bpuls » June 26th, 2009, 8:58 am

Thanks Kelticwolf. I realize now I might have heard something about the change but it did not register. I will go ahead and find out if the ability to benefit program is on the web also. It will be good to know for future questions on the subject.
bpuls

Postby kelticwolf79 » June 26th, 2009, 5:43 pm

The link you submitted to the person asking the question did make mention of Ability to Benefit I believe. The only thing I'm not sure of is what the lowest scores accepted in the reading, writing, and math sections are (can't remember to be honest lol), and if it's a statewide standard or if the scores required are different per each campus.

High school transcripts and GED test scores are still required, but it no longer holds up the admissions process if they can't get them in right away, as long as the applicant completes the placement test and the application for admissions.
kelticwolf79
Private

Postby timharris » October 27th, 2009, 8:41 pm

I quit highschool my 11th year. I started ivytech in the spring with no GED. I got my GED this fall. Best thing i ever did. It was super easy. I think the min score for all 5 test was 48 but you have to get like 500 or 525 average to pass as the need score is higher then if you get 480 on all 5. If you get over 540 you get a special ivytech scholarship for 500 a semester.
Good luck my recommend is take the compass enroll take a semester or two with taking englisha nd math for sure it will help alot on your GED. Also ivytech's compass test is not a pass or fail. If you do bad you take a lower class some are non college. I am in math 050 and i took the lower non college english.
Again good luck
timharris
Colonel

Postby slinkydoll » December 15th, 2009, 10:46 am

I had read in IvyTech's handbook that you DO NOT need a HS diploma or GED to enroll, but they will give you ONE year to obtain either, but i also read that during this time (1 year) you are NOT eligible for financial aid is this correct?
slinkydoll
Major

Postby krisjbaker » December 15th, 2009, 1:51 pm

It is kind of correct if you qualify for the Ability to Benefit you can still get Financial Aid.
krisjbaker
Lieutenant

Postby slinkydoll » December 15th, 2009, 2:41 pm

can someone please explain the ability to benefit? my son quit high school, and has no ged either, if he could possibly get into ivytech that would be great for him as he's been talking about going back to school, also does ivytech help those that need the ged or offer classes to those who dont have it? thanks for the info :)
slinkydoll
Major

Postby krisjbaker » December 15th, 2009, 5:57 pm

I know that the Lafayette Campus does do GED testing. We also have an adult learning center here that does pre-testing and offers "classes" if you do not pass parts of the pre-test to help get you ready for the actual test. It is probably best to check at the Assessment Center of your campus to see if they conduct the testing and what you need to do to get registered for testing.

The Ability to Benefit is based off of Compass Scores I believe so he would have to do that to see where he is and if he qualifies for that.

I hope this helps a bit.
krisjbaker
Lieutenant

Postby mhygema » December 16th, 2009, 11:26 am

Please contact the Admissions office for an opportunity to meet with an adviser regarding admission requirements to the college. They can give timeline for GED and also can provide the test to see if you will need to take refresher courses.
mhygema
Site Admin

Return to Admissions/Transfer