Surgical Technology

This forum is for questions and concerns that don't fit anywhere else.
General campus announcements such as weather closings and system outages will be posted here.
Links:Ivy Tech Main Page| Ivy Tech FAQ

Moderator: mhygema

Forum rules
Be respectful of others
Do not initiate or participate in personal attacks
Do not use profanity
Do not post items for sale (including textbooks)
Do not post solicitations for businesses
Do not post spam
The moderator has the right to remove any posts or comments that do not follow these guidelines or that provide inaccurate information.
Thank you!

Surgical Technology

Postby lgreenley » June 27th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Is the surgical technology program accredited by CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs)?
lgreenley
Private

Postby jmorgan » June 27th, 2009, 5:53 pm

According to this document the Surgical Tech program is accredited by "Accreditation Review Committee on Education in Surgical Technology"

http://www.ivytech.edu/shared/shared_co ... s_0910.pdf
jmorgan
Site Admin

Region: Central Office

Surgical Technology

Postby lgreenley » June 29th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Does this program have clinical hours like the nursing program does?
lgreenley
Private

Accreditation and Clinical Hours for Surgical Technology

Postby sdavenport3 » June 30th, 2009, 11:24 pm

All of the following Ivy Tech Surgical Technology Programs are accredited by CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs): Accreditation Review Committee on Education in Surgical Technology, and this is from the CAAHEP website, via the www.AST.org website; as well as from the Ivy Tech Catalog of Accreditation and Memberships:

Ivy Tech Community College, Central Indiana Region - Indianapolis , IN

Ivy Tech Community College-Columbus,IN - Columbus , IN

Ivy Tech Community College-Evansville - Evansville , IN

Ivy Tech Community College-Kokomo - Kokomo , IN

Ivy Tech Community College-Lafayette - Lafayette , IN

Ivy Tech Community College-Muncie - Muncie , IN

Ivy Tech Community College-Northwest Region - Valparaiso , IN

Ivy Tech Community College-Terre Haute - Terre Haute, IN

The program catalog lists a total of 19 credit hours of clinical time, in Clinical Applications I (3 hours), Clinical Applications II (9 hours) and Clinical Applications III (7 hours). (If it's anything like I remember - it's a bunch!) :wink:
sdavenport3
Corporal

Postby kmhttn » July 8th, 2009, 11:03 am

How long is this class 1 year or what?
kmhttn
Private

Postby sdavenport3 » July 8th, 2009, 12:29 pm

The actual Surgical Technology program lasts one year. However, the prerequisites before you get accepted into the program take as long as it takes for you to do them. It varies a great deal because not everyone has to take the same developmental Math, English or Reading (000-level) classes before they take the degree (100-level) courses. Some have to brush up on those skills first and some can go right into the college level prerequisite classes. The results of your Compass Test will tell you what courses you have to take first, if any, or if you can go straight into the degree level classes. If you bring previous credits with you from another program or school, they would have to be evaluated to make sure they are equivalent to Ivy Tech courses before they could be applied. It also makes a difference if you take a full time load of prerequisites (12-15 credit hours per semester) or have to take a few at a time.
There's a program admissions test you also have to take - but I'm not sure which one. They used to use what's called the "PSB" test - but I've heard that the program has or soon will be going to the TEAS test, which is the same one the nursing program applicants have to take. I'm sure someone else on here with more recent experience, or the program chair people, or even a current ST student would be able to fill you in on that detail.
There's a lot to look into before you know what you'll have to take and what you won't. The Catalog lists what courses are required, and the program information will give you more details. And last, but certainly not least, an admissions counselor will also be able to fill you in on more of the details involved.
sdavenport3
Corporal

Postby kmhttn » July 8th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Thank you so much I am 44 years old and want to go back to school and I really think this is what I want to do.. I have no idea where to start, and I don't even know what kind of money this job pays, but I am very interested. Thanks again for the information. :)
kmhttn
Private

Private Message Post

Postby sdavenport3 » July 17th, 2009, 2:10 pm

[quote="kmhttn"]Thank you so much I am 44 years old and want to go back to school and I really think this is what I want to do.. I have no idea where to start, and I don't even know what kind of money this job pays, but I am very interested. Thanks again for the information. :)[/quote]

I sent you a private message with more information in it a while back. I hope you got it. Please let me know if you did not.
Thanks.
sdavenport3
Corporal

Re: Surgical Technology

Postby james2sw12 » March 15th, 2012, 8:17 pm

hello

I have some information regarding to CAAHEP and it may help you please send email or message can be ok...

Thank You...
james2sw12
Private

Region: United states

Return to General