Phlebotomy?

This forum is for discussion related to the Nursing Programs at Ivy Tech
Links:Nursing Info by Campus | General Nursing Info

Moderator: mhygema

Phlebotomy?

Postby wls84 » September 15th, 2010, 1:38 pm

I was going to do my pre-reqs and apply for the LPN program, but I decided that its really not 100% what I want to do. I really am interested in Phlebotomy. Would I just take the AAS in Medical Assisting to pursue becoming a phlebotomist?
wls84
Corporal

Postby Duffy » September 15th, 2010, 8:07 pm

You don't have to go through all of that. You can get your phlebotomy certification separate from MA. Look under the curriculum for Health Care Support, and there should be a Phlebotomy Technician option there. I know that you have to go in and get approved as well. I would speak with your advisor and make sure what all you need to do. If you don't want to go through Ivy Tech, some hospitals/clinics provide training and certification, so you might want to call around as well.

Good luck!

I am going for RN with Phlebotomy certification. :D
Last edited by Duffy on September 16th, 2010, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duffy
Captain

Postby EJSC » September 15th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Does Ivy Tech's RN program not automatically include phlebotomy certification? I'm in the RN program and I assumed it did...
EJSC
Captain

Region: Lafayette

Postby wls84 » September 15th, 2010, 11:55 pm

These are my main issues...I have 2 kids so I really don't know if I can swing goin to school full time which the program does require, correct? And thats IF I made it into the LPN program....I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't make it. I need a good job quickly but I'm afraid of not being able to do it because of being low income and only available part time...help?!
wls84
Corporal

Postby Duffy » September 16th, 2010, 6:45 am

EJSC wrote:Does Ivy Tech's RN program not automatically include phlebotomy certification? I'm in the RN program and I assumed it did...

No, it doesn't offer phlebotomy certification. Although, I have heard it said that phlebotomy and med terms should be offered in the program. I think that would be a great idea.
Duffy
Captain

Postby Duffy » September 16th, 2010, 6:47 am

Have you tried becoming a CNA, for now? Some places pay a decent wage and it's a good way to get your foot in the door.

wls84 wrote:These are my main issues...I have 2 kids so I really don't know if I can swing goin to school full time which the program does require, correct? And thats IF I made it into the LPN program....I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't make it. I need a good job quickly but I'm afraid of not being able to do it because of being low income and only available part time...help?!
Duffy
Captain

Postby wls84 » September 16th, 2010, 11:11 am

No, I have not tried CNA...I don't think that financial aid covers the program and there's no way that I can afford to pay for it out of pocket...I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place...
wls84
Corporal

CNA CERTIFICATION

Postby jlarson6 » September 16th, 2010, 7:22 pm

I DON'T KNOW WHY FINANCIAL AID WOULDN'T COVER THIS. I LOOKED AT THIS AS WELL AND IT CAN BE TAKEN IN WABASH. YOU WILL HAVE TO LOOK IT UP. IT WAS ABOUT 500 PLUS DOLLARS I THINK AND YOU JUST ADD THEM TO YOUR COURSE SCHEDULE.
jlarson6
Corporal

Postby wmc0531 » September 16th, 2010, 8:09 pm

If you want to become a CNA the best way to do that is to watch when the local nursing homes have sign up classes or check into your local nursing homes as some offer the class and you take the test from the state. That is how I got my start in the medical field 14 years ago.
wmc0531
Private

Phlebotomy

Postby pradeep » September 25th, 2010, 8:28 am

I was under an impression that no certification is necessary for working as a phlebotomist. At least that is what this website says. Is that wrong?
pradeep
Private

Postby callie371 » October 22nd, 2010, 11:19 pm

Finical aid will cover as long as you tell them you are working towards the degree or what ever that's when im going to do and keep applying to LPN till i get in
callie371
Private

Postby KatInskeep » October 27th, 2010, 1:56 pm

I already have all of my prereqs done so until I can get in to the nursing program next fall I am taking the Phlebotomy courses this coming spring and summer, just registered for it yesterday and they are almost filled up at Lafayette. I think it will be helpful in finding a job having that extra cerification and I wont have to take a bunch of meaningless classes to fill up my schedule until I can get in. Im excited to get started in it.
KatInskeep
Corporal

Return to Nursing Programs