Medical Terminology

This forum is to discuss and ask questions from your fellow students about specific Ivy Tech classes and instructors.
Links:Course search| Course Outlines | Curriculum for each program/degree

Moderator: mhygema

Forum rules
Be respectful of others
Do not initiate or participate in personal attacks
Do not use profanity
Do not post items for sale (including textbooks)
Do not post solicitations for businesses
Do not post spam
The moderator has the right to remove any posts or comments that do not follow these guidelines or that provide inaccurate information.
Thank you!

Medical Terminology

Postby ahickman2 » October 27th, 2010, 2:45 am

Has anyone took Medical Terminology online?

I'm going for nursing, but I think medical terminology would be very helpful.

How do the assignments go? Are there just quizzes and discussion boards every week?

Is it easier to take this class online vs taking it on campus?
ahickman2
Major

Postby msbungle » October 27th, 2010, 8:53 am

I took it in 8 weeks.

Each session is an assignment, usually 20-25 questions. I had either matching or had to a crossword puzzle. Then a quiz, i believe was 20 questions. All open book of course.

Discussion boards, I had 5 of them. One session was to write about the discussion, and the following session, you had to reply to three discussions.

Mid term and final are procotor and count up to 50% of your grade.

I ended up with a B in the class. I never studied, just did the work. It's easier online, because of the use of your book.
msbungle
General

Postby amckinney39 » October 27th, 2010, 2:29 pm

I am taking this class right now, but not online. It is the easiest class I've ever taken. There is a test every week and that's it; no other assignments. You are able to get bonus points by taking the spelling test and "E" answers if you know the correct ones. They drop your lowest test score and replace it with your highest. Plus, if you have an A average at the end (which is 93% for this class), then you don't have to take the final.
I kind of wish I would have taken it online because it is so easy and I hate driving to Lawrence every week just to take a 45 min test, but then again, I won't have to take a final.
amckinney39
Major

Postby jlarson6 » October 28th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Ok, I didn't think this class was easy. I took it at Warsaw campus with Velvet Reed and worked my xxx off last summer. We did take a final and I did well on that, however, I haven't had a college class in 25 yrs, so I guess I was out of the loop. Still, I thought it was hard. Tons of memorization. Several students dropped out of her morning class and several really struggled in my class. She wasn't that easy. She made sure we knew out stuff. I am glad she did. I hopefully, will do better in ANP because of it.
jlarson6
Corporal

Postby amckinney39 » October 28th, 2010, 4:07 pm

See, I think it is easy b/c I have taken Anatomy 101/102 and APHY 201...I guess it could go either way.
amckinney39
Major

Re: Medical Terminology

Postby yeshadette21 » November 17th, 2010, 7:26 am

ahickman2 wrote:Has anyone took Medical Terminology online?

I'm going for nursing, but I think medical terminology would be very helpful.

How do the assignments go? Are there just quizzes and discussion boards every week?

Is it easier to take this class online vs taking it on campus?

Yeah, medical terminology is very helpful of the medical students. As I know there is now online of the medical terminology. I've read before about that, they have a website. I think they will guide you and help you if you visit their website.

My TV shows
yeshadette21
Private

Postby jbyrd45 » November 29th, 2010, 12:23 pm

I am currently taking it online. First of all the course has a weighted grading scale. Each week there is an assignment and quiz due. There is also discussion board assignments that are done throughout which in all there are about 5 and then two proctored exams (midterm and final). Although based on previous replies, I think I would have rather taken it at a campus.
jbyrd45
Private

Return to Classes and Instructors