Weather Closings

Weather Closings

Postby Jason Hillenburg » January 11th, 2011, 8:59 am

The Bedford campus is closed due to weather, yet no one bothers to post to the relevant forum? WTHR is not reporting it. Get your crap together, Ivy Tech.

Furthermore, I think they need to think about the Bloomington campus. I know they are loathe to pay part time staff for a snow day, or perhaps loathe to deprive them of a pay day, but when the local public schools are closed, how do they get child care on such short notice? Contemplate how many students have to travel from rural areas? Nah. They can't even update local television about the closings they DO have. heck, even Meals on Wheels is closed today.

Sorry if I am ranting a little, but the reasoning seems a little foggy and some clarification would be lovely.
Jason Hillenburg
Corporal

Re: Weather Closings

Postby anon46143 » January 11th, 2011, 9:23 am

Jason Hillenburg wrote:The Bedford campus is closed due to weather, yet no one bothers to post to the relevant forum? WTHR is not reporting it. Get your crap together, Ivy Tech.

Furthermore, I think they need to think about the Bloomington campus. I know they are loathe to pay part time staff for a snow day, or perhaps loathe to deprive them of a pay day, but when the local xxx schools are closed, how do they get child care on such short notice? Contemplate how many students have to travel from rural areas? Nah. They can't even update local television about the closings they DO have.

Sorry if I am ranting a little, but the reasoning seems a little foggy and some clarification would be lovely.

I completely understand. My wife has been and still is currently trying to make her way to the Columbus Campus from the Greenwood area. That started about 6:45, she just called and notified me that the way she normally would have taken is too dangerous for her vehicle to attempt, due to the lack of plow services available in that area. It looks as if a few of the local schools are closed for the day. Attempted phone calls to the facility go unanswered, except some older gentleman, that notifies me to check this board along with email. Unfortunately that is not possible when someone is having to drive 40+ miles in this type of weather.

After all that, I agree the students should receive the same type of courtesy the school would expect a student to show in the event any issue should arise. The weather is a bit tricky to judge, I know. As a student your learning to work through situations that help you through tough times, maybe ITCC can learn from these and in the future, very near future, fix any flaws.
anon46143
Private

Postby Jason Hillenburg » January 11th, 2011, 9:32 am

State Road 46 between Nashville and Bloomington is closed.
Jason Hillenburg
Corporal

Postby Aqeeli » January 11th, 2011, 9:59 am

Jason Hillenburg wrote:State Road 46 between Nashville and Bloomington is closed.

Does the Bloomington campus ever gets closed?
Aqeeli
Major

Postby Aqeeli » January 11th, 2011, 10:02 am

Ivy Tech classes in Bedford are cancelled today: Tuesday, Jan. 11. Oakland City University-Bedford building is closed due to inclement weather.

Copied this from the Ivy Tech Bloomington website, um why the heck the Bloomington campus is still open?
Aqeeli
Major

Bloomington

Postby the catalyst » January 11th, 2011, 1:39 pm

I live in Camby and am looking at a 35 minute drive without snow ad the roads aren't good without snow anyways. Why would they want us to risk our lives to come to class. I have seen many schools closed but not yet bloomington. This is my first class and i am afraid to miss it. It doesn't seem fair.
the catalyst
Private

Re: Bloomington

Postby Jason Hillenburg » January 11th, 2011, 3:49 pm

the catalyst wrote:Why would they want us to risk our lives to come to class.

Money.

Bloomington closed once last year.
Jason Hillenburg
Corporal

Postby johnsz » January 11th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Jason Hillenburg wrote:WTHR is not reporting it.

WTHR is not on the list for weather Alerts.

In regard to radio announcements, class cancellations and campus closings will be broadcast on the following local radio stations: WLBC, WURK, WHTY, WHTI, WHFN, WERK, WHBU, MAX, WBST, WGNR, WQME, WBAT, WMRI, WCJC, WXXC, WMDH, PG14.

http://www.ivytech.edu/eastcentral/campuses/weather-alerts.html

If you cant tune in to those, you can have Alerts sent directly to your phone via SMS:

Keeping our students, faculty and staff safe is a top-priority for Ivy Tech Community College. That is why we have implemented a text message alert system to keep you informed of campus closings and emergencies. There is no charge for this service, other than any charges you may incur from your cell phone carrier.

http://www.ivytech.edu/alert

Did you sign up for this? If not then why are you complaining?
johnsz
Captain

Complaining?

Postby the catalyst » January 11th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Some people aren't aware of all the things available to them. I don't think anyone is actually complaining, more or less worried about what they are suppose to do in this situation. A lot of people just like me are trying to make sure they get there in one piece. I had an accident friday and just got my car fixed today, so worrying about the snow and closing schedule is gonna be on my list. I didn't know about the text until someone posted on here that it can be done.
the catalyst
Private

Postby Jason Hillenburg » January 11th, 2011, 4:43 pm

johnsz wrote:WTHR is not on the list for weather Alerts.

Really?

"Radio and television stations that are contacted in the unlikely event of class cancellations are as follows:

TV-News WRTV-6, WISH-8, FOX59-11, WTHR-13, and WTIU
Radio WFHB, WTTS/WGCL-AM, WBWB, WCLS, WHCC, WBIW-AM/WQRK, WCBK, WUME,WFIU, WWBL"

johnsz wrote:Did you sign up for this? If not then why are you complaining?

Yes, I've been signed up for quite some time.
Jason Hillenburg
Corporal

Postby micki » January 11th, 2011, 5:01 pm

As the sticky note suggests from the moderator, the best place to check for closures or cancellations is on Campus Connect>Personal Announcements. They are always updated here first. As for johnsz from Ft. Wayne :idea: maybe WTHR is not on your list because this is an Indianapolis based station and I dont think it airs there. As your post says in the bottom it is the eastcentral region. Different regions=Different announcements/postings.
Quote:
In regard to radio announcements, class cancellations and campus closings will be broadcast on the following local radio stations: WLBC, WURK, WHTY, WHTI, WHFN, WERK, WHBU, MAX, WBST, WGNR, WQME, WBAT, WMRI, WCJC, WXXC, WMDH, PG14.

www.ivytech.edu/eastcentral/campuses/weather-alerts.html
Last edited by micki on January 11th, 2011, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
micki
General

Region: Indiana

Postby msbungle » January 11th, 2011, 5:24 pm

micki wrote:As the sticky note suggests from the moderator, the best place to check for closures or cancellations is on Campus Connect>Personal Announcements. They are always updated here first.

Indeed, a forum is not an up-to-date announcement board. It is mostly student run, moderators are from the school.
msbungle
General

Postby Jason Hillenburg » January 11th, 2011, 11:04 pm

But yet CC says this...

Please stay tuned to your local tv and radio stations for the latest closure information.

So... check out the television, Campus Connect, the radio, the message board, and sign up for text alerts. Sooner or later, you'll get the information you need.
Jason Hillenburg
Corporal

Postby Jason Hillenburg » January 11th, 2011, 11:08 pm

micki wrote:maybe WTHR is not on your list because this is an Indianapolis based station and I dont think it airs there.

A little off-topic, but what are the chances that one of the state's largest regional television stations, located in the state capital, isn't broadcast in one of state's major cities?
Jason Hillenburg
Corporal

Postby kwoodard8 » January 11th, 2011, 11:12 pm

im upset b/c i drove from lagrange to elkhart (normally about a 30 minute drive) and it took me an hour and 10 minutes at 25-35 mph on US 20, and CR 17/18....it was just not fun...at all...then, after a 3 hour class, it took me even longer (an hour and 45 minutes). blagh ><
kwoodard8
Captain

Postby johnsz » January 12th, 2011, 12:10 am

Jason Hillenburg wrote:But yet CC says this...

Please stay tuned to your local tv and radio stations for the latest closure information.

Everybody knows that radio stations are only going to give the information at certain time intervals. They have to fit commercials in first.

Text messaging is the best. Someone suggested Campus connect, but it isn't always easy to access campus connect when you are driving in your car.

Jason, are you claiming that the campus was closed, but you did not get a text message? And you enrolled correctly and chose the correct campus?

I go to the Fort Wayne campus and it was only closed once since I have attended, but I do think I got a text message.
johnsz
Captain

Postby Jason Hillenburg » January 12th, 2011, 2:23 am

johnsz wrote:Jason, are you claiming that the campus was closed, but you did not get a text message? And you enrolled correctly and chose the correct campus?

No, I was aggravated about a couple of different things.

Despite the fact that closings of all kinds were rampant in the Monroe County area, Ivy Tech apparently won't consider closing the Bloomington campus unless there's virtually a winter apocalypse. What's the thresh hold for cancellation? 6 inches wasn't enough, but 7 would be? The decision making that goes into this isn't clear. Yet a campus 25 miles south, Bedford, closes with only marginally different weather? Some might say that the Bedford/Lawrence County area is much more rural than the Bloomington area - that's true. However, we have a major university here with a student body of 30,000+ who are trying to get to their classes at the same time as me and a city/county road crew that is straining under the burden of clearing off roads. I feel the respective disadvantages call for closing in certain cases. 5+ inches of snow qualifies as one of those cases.

The second issue is that numerous local campuses were closed, yet the school did not inform some of its specified news outlets for that information. There is a pattern of unprofessional behavior from the university staff and administration that often bothers me. There is no excuse for the university failing to inform a major television station like WTHR about campus closings.

Bloomington didn't close, so there was no text I missed, no report I missed. I arrived to my class on time, but the drive was dangerous, I slid often, and others were driving poorly.

You might call this complaining about petty things, but the idea that I might spend my morning getting pulled out of a ditch or wrecking my car in the name of a hour and fifteen minute class that covered precious little today anyway is a valid concern that can grate on me.
Jason Hillenburg
Corporal

Postby kathycot » January 12th, 2011, 2:28 am

then why did you go? you are perfectly able to make your own decision not to go .... that is if you don't mind getting behind in your class, we are grown ups here people, not 12 year olds looking for a way out of class. :roll:
kathycot
Sergeant

Postby johnsz » January 12th, 2011, 3:08 am

kathycot wrote:then why did you go? you are perfectly able to make your own decision not to go .... that is if you don't mind getting behind in your class, we are grown ups here people, not 12 year olds looking for a way out of class. :roll:

Yep.

The Fort Wayne Campus was open. I went to class and sat in backed up traffic for over an hour. Fortunately I had been smart enough to leave early so I still got to class on time.

24 students were registered and 13 were present, so obviously many of them made the decision to stay home. The teacher is posting on BB everything that is due for next week, so those students that missed will not be behind if they make the effort to check BB.

I do know that they very rarely close the Fort Wayne campus. I think the roads have to be impassible before they will close it. Their criteria is obviously higher than the local High Schools that close down with only an inch of snow.

Like Kathy said, I like it that way. I prefer to make the decision myself. It takes a lot more than a few inches of snow to keep me from going where I want to go :lol:

Jason wrote:but the drive was dangerous, I slid often, and others were driving poorly

It is true that some people have better driving skills than others. If you slid often my guess would be that you are driving too fast for conditions.

If you slide into a ditch, it is not the schools fault. It is your responsibility to be in control of your vehicle at all times. That means slowing down in slippery conditions, as well as increasing following distance between you and the vehicle ahead.

I have been driving in snow and ice for years and have never slid into a ditch, because I know how to drive.
johnsz
Captain

Postby micki » January 12th, 2011, 8:58 am

Jason Hillenburg wrote:
micki wrote:maybe WTHR is not on your list because this is an Indianapolis based station and I dont think it airs there.

A little off-topic, but what are the chances that one of the state's largest regional television stations, located in the state capital, isn't broadcast in one of state's major cities?

WISE is the NBC channel there not WTHR. Maybe if they have satellite they may be able to get it.
micki
General

Region: Indiana

Next

Return to Outages/Closings