academic probation

This forum is designed to discuss Admissions/Transfer processes at Ivy Tech Community College.
Links:Online Admissions Application

Moderator: mhygema

Forum rules
Be respectful of others
Do not initiate or participate in personal attacks
Do not use profanity
Do not post items for sale (including textbooks)
Do not post solicitations for businesses
Do not post spam
The moderator has the right to remove any posts or comments that do not follow these guidelines or that provide inaccurate information.
Thank you!

academic probation

Postby crystal11676 » August 24th, 2009, 1:01 pm

I am on academic probation. I received a letter stating that if I am put on suspension or termination I would only be allowed to enroll as a courses only student.

I was placed on courses only even though I have not been placed on termination or suspension. I am still on probation. Everyone I talk to tells me even probation students have to be courses only. So why did the letter I received say only termination and suspension students go on courses only? And where in the handbook does it confirm that probation students are to be on courses only status? So far all published rules on this say nothing about academic probation being switched to courses only status.
crystal11676
Private

Postby crystal11676 » August 24th, 2009, 1:05 pm

I am also wondering how many other students out there this is being done to. I am considering getting a lawyer since this will cause severe hardships on me. As it will force me into repayment status of my student loans. I am on financial aid and am approved to take 2 courses via FA but due to the registrar refusing to allow me to enroll as degree seeking status I cannot access the FA I am approved for. I am being told I have to wait two terms before I can re-enroll as degree seeking. This will cause me to default on loans since I am disabled and unable to earn enough income to repay anything at this time. Is anyone else being ran around like this?
crystal11676
Private

Postby mhygema » August 26th, 2009, 10:10 am

The best thing to do is to contact the Academic Vice Chancellor at your campus to seek clarification.
mhygema
Site Admin

Postby crystal11676 » August 27th, 2009, 7:15 am

I have done that now. the messed up thing is that he tells me I am on suspension but my campus connect still says first probation and I was never sent a letter telling me i was placed on suspension. even though I should have been placed on suspension immediately after spring 2009 semester I wasnt placed on suspension until Aug 7, 2009. I didnt even take classes in the summer. I was granted my fa appeal on Aug 4,2009. seems unethical for them to suspend me so late and then not even send me a letter or update my campus connect to notify me. and for 2 weeks i was emailing everyone trying to find out what the issue was. Even the registrar, ed grams, never told me i was suspended. he just blew me off with little explanation. still my campus connect is not updated to say academic suspension. Though the vc of student affairs has finally told me i could appeal the suspension and i have done that. but that wasnt told to me until a day after school started. I almost dropped my classes out of frustration. why people are not willing to just properly inform a student of their status is beyond me.
crystal11676
Private

Return to Admissions/Transfer