Higher One

This forum is for information and questions about the Ivy Tech Debit Card.
Links:About the Ivy Tech Debit Card |Frequently Asked Questions | Fees | ATM Locations | Replacement Cards | Who to Contact

Moderator: mhygema

Higher One

Postby smarcum7 » January 11th, 2011, 7:35 pm

So is there any way to get our refunds without higher one processing them? I would prefer not to be signed up for a card that I did not ask for. I do not wish to do business with them and want my refund to go straight to my checking account.
Also, what is it with Ivy Tech keeping the money so long? IUPUI releases it on the first day of classes.
smarcum7
Private

Postby jcooper22 » January 11th, 2011, 7:44 pm

you can set it up to go into a checking account but I believe it all goes through higher one
jcooper22
Lieutenant

Re: Higher One

Postby micki » January 11th, 2011, 8:04 pm

smarcum7 wrote:So is there any way to get our refunds without higher one processing them? I would prefer not to be signed up for a card that I did not ask for. I do not wish to do business with them and want my refund to go straight to my checking account.
Also, what is it with Ivy Tech keeping the money so long? IUPUI releases it on the first day of classes.

The only other way without getting Higher One involved is to wait up to an additional 21 days to receive a paper check. If you go to ivytechdebitcard.com you can still have your refund put in your checking without any fees and you dont have to have anything to do with them after they deposit it in your account. You can call the Business office who deals with this. They are in charge of refunds.
This is what I copied from studentaid.ed.gov:
If you're a first-year undergraduate student and a first-time borrower, your first disbursement can't be made until 30 days after the first day of your enrollment period. I know this does not apply to all/alot but I think they may not have the capabilities to weed everyone out by their enrollment and whether they are new borrowers or 2nd year, etc. It may be simpler for Central Office in Indy to do it this way. Most people think it is to gain interest until they are required by federal regs to actually send the money to students but who knows the reason. This is the way it has been.
micki
General

Region: Indiana

Postby agwaltney » January 11th, 2011, 8:20 pm

I don't use the card, never have. If you send them your routing info they will put it straight into your bank, but either way it goes through Higher One first. As someone said above, you can only go around Higher One by opting for an old fashioned paper check, but then you have to wait even longer than if you use Higher One. As far as Ivy Tech holding the money for so long, get used to it, we go through it every semester & its highly unlikely their going to change the process. :(
agwaltney
General

Postby cnew » January 11th, 2011, 9:03 pm

yeah like he said above me, go to ivytechdebitcard.com and put your card number in and register it. once you do that, there should be a drop down menu at the top of the website that says "refunds" then go to "refund preferences." select ACH transfer towards the bottom and put in your checking account number and routing number.
cnew
Major

Postby jsimons4 » February 3rd, 2011, 8:57 pm

So if we use the debit card, there are fees? Does anyone know if it takes a very long time to transfer to the bank acct if we don't use the debit card?
jsimons4
Captain

Postby micki » February 3rd, 2011, 9:14 pm

jsimons4 wrote:So if we use the debit card, there are fees? Does anyone know if it takes a very long time to transfer to the bank acct if we don't use the debit card?

I get charged 50 cents to use it as a debit, but I can also get cash back if the store offers this and it is still 50 cents. If you use it as credit at the stores there is no charge. Aldi's does not do credit transactions and this is the only place I have been charged the 50 cents. Always do credit at stores when this is an option. I also get charged 20 cents when I pay anything online out of my Higher One card.
micki
General

Region: Indiana

Return to Debit Card