Jobs in criminal justice?

Jobs in criminal justice?

Postby mpickett3 » February 11th, 2011, 5:32 pm

I have been a medical assistant for years(got my TC from Ivy Tech). But I am a returning student. I have thought about Paralegal Studies, but it just doesn't seem right for me. I have always wanted to work with families or youth.
Will the A.A.S in Criminal Justice/Youth concentration get me a job as a social worker or in a probation office? I thought to be a probation officer or social worker you had to hold a BA. I thought maybe someone out there is in this program and knows the answer. Thanks much
mpickett3
Private

Postby MaGna720 » February 13th, 2011, 2:27 am

I think you might find this to be of some assistance. http://www.ivytech.edu/criminaljustice/ ... thway.html
MaGna720
Corporal

Region: Central Indiana

Re: Jobs in criminal justice?

Postby fwacfred » March 4th, 2011, 12:43 pm

mpickett3 wrote:I have been a medical assistant for years(got my TC from Ivy Tech). But I am a returning student. I have thought about Paralegal Studies, but it just doesn't seem right for me. I have always wanted to work with families or youth.
Will the A.A.S in Criminal Justice/Youth concentration get me a job as a social worker or in a probation office? I thought to be a probation officer or social worker you had to hold a BA. I thought maybe someone out there is in this program and knows the answer. Thanks much

Most social worker or probation officer positions require a 4yr. degree. There are other positions like youth care worker (juvenile justice center) or (youth services center). You may be able to get a foot in the door working for a non-profit social service agency of some sort and get some experience while working towards your Bachelor's degree.
fwacfred
Private

Postby sskinner » June 2nd, 2011, 9:43 am

To obtain a social work degree you want to do one of two things... either start at Ivy Tech in our Human Services program and then transfer to a 4 year college or apply to an accredited 4 year college. In the East Central Region those would be BSU, AU or IUPUI. Ivy Tech's Human Services program has agreements with all of these colleges for an easy transfer after completion of our AS degree. Please email me if you have any questioins at sskinner@ivytech.edu
sskinner
Private

Region: East Central

Postby EJSC » August 5th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Most social work jobs, at least the ones that pay a decent salary, now want you to have a MSW. Just a heads up.
EJSC
Captain

Region: Lafayette

Return to Public & Social Services